<< Prev page 1 .. 61 62 63 64 65 66 .. 373 Next page >>
Hello everybody !!.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
Just a short comme.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Vertigo - you defe.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
The Tre Cima De La.. by scannerman   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2013-12-11 01:57:44
"Trouble brewing" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Trouble brewing (Expand pics)
Prelude to The Case for Pristine Mountains
An unintended benefit of our relative isolation and underdevelopment has been the preservation of some pristine wildernesses, no doubt at a great historical cost to our people. The hierarchy of a nationís needs may well require that its natural beauty be damaged to some extent in the name of a population that is fed, has health, has education and general welfare. There is not much point in having a magnificent environment populated by the cold, hungry and depressed. Clearly a balance must be struck.
Simon reminds us that there are no free lunches................................................. See "Safeguarding the Comeraghs and electricity" ( http://mountainviews.ie/motleyviews/general/comment/7067/) We need energy, but no one appears to be willing to pay the price, preferring the ostrich approach. Harnessing energy always comes at a cost. Fossil fuels allowed us to leap forward in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries but caused tremendous environmental damage. The consequences of nuclear power are potentially catastrophic, no matter what the immediate benefit. In this context perhaps wind energy is the least worst option of all the energies? Considerable reflection is required.
I ply my trade in what is known as the adversarial system. Two opposing sides clash head on: someone else decides. Hegel described how this works for ideas: Marx for material things. Its called the dialectic. Thesis, antithesis, synthesis. With respect to Simon (and that is no empty formula, I mean true respect) I want to be adversarial. I want to nail my colours to the mast. I want to preserve and protect our mountain wildernesses. That is what I am about. There will be no shortage of those who argue the opposite: that the high places are there for the taking in the name of electricity. I am damned (by my own conscience) if I am going to begin the debate with a compromise. Some sane person can decide that I am wrong. In the meantime I am committed to the crazy proposition that the mountains are entitled to have their cause pleaded without reservation or compromise. I already inhabit a world where there is no shame in pleading a seemingly hopeless case. A world where I may be wrong more than I am right. I am not the judge and jury. I am the advocate.....................................................
Scavenger Walk - 2.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
I'm hoping to go w.. by hivisibility   (Show all posts)
Both the Irish Tim.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Our latest video (.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Vertigo - the trut.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 11 hours ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman 2 days ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka 2 days ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka 2 days ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka 2 days ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 days ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 days ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...