<< Prev page 1 .. 65 66 67 68 69 70 .. 372 Next page >>
The OS (in the Rep.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...on completing t.. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Conor, I climbed P.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...well done on yo.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Onzy, yes indeed I.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
I see simon3 has c.. by Onzy   (Show all posts)
If anyone is inter.. by David-Guenot   (Show all posts)
Bagger fight v goo.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
God, it's stick in.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Conor74
2013-10-17 11:33:36
Home for a Bagger?
Interesting one. Kenmare is pretty well placed. If I walk about 500 metres up the road from my house I can see the Reeks, Dunkerrons, Cahas, Shehy/Knockboys and Mangertons, and the last range obscures the Purple Mountains which are also pretty close. All 100 locals were drawn from them, and in many cases the very nearest of those ranges - didn't have to go too far back the Cahas or Dunkerrons and still have a few of the Shehy/Knockboys to do. Can also just about see the Mishkish range at the end of the Beara Peninsula. Great walking country alright, but for some reason poor for IMRA/NIMRA mountain runs - apart from Carrauntoohil and Mangerton - that seems to be mostly Wicklow and Mournes based.

There is a drawback mind you. The presence of a lot of summits here...and the fact that the entire area in turn is a bit remote from some of the great ranges in the country, means the spectrum of summits bagged is quite limited. I have yet to set foot on the Mournes or Sperrins...in fact any summit in Ulster, pretty much anything in Connemara apart from Mweelrea, pretty much anything in Leinster apart from Lug etc. etc. So when people start talking about this mountain or that, unless they're in South or West Kerry or West Cork I'm in trouble. I suspect other baggers would think nothing of driving a few hours and getting in a new range and so seeing far more of the country then me, whereas I have a different mindset, the cost of fuel, the effort etc. means I just go up the same ones again and again a lot.

Carrig Island: Kerry Island.
sandman 6 hours ago.
The Island is connected to the mainland allowing for vehicle access and out from the coastal walk the island is well farmed it even has its own B/B. The high point of the island is located adjacen...

Glenstall Woods loop
markl12000 9 hours ago.
walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 302m, Area: Shannon (Ireland)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy a day ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh
Peter Walker 2 days ago.
walk, Len: 8.8km, Climb: 392m, Area: Binevenagh, Keenaght (Ireland) Binevenagh

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 4 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.