<< Prev page 1 .. 67 68 69 70 71 72 .. 372 Next page >>
Wonderfully compre.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
Andodenis you will.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Currently in order.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Peter Walker
2013-10-08 12:15:55
You're not on the list, you're not coming in,
Tackling each of my esteemed colleague Mr Cra's issues...

Hill name translations - I am but a heathen from Albion, but one who happens to be a grammar Nazi and as such am far more likely to be irked by someone sticking apostrophes in the wrong place than dodgy conversions from Irish to English. Therefore I'm not unduly concerned by any errors in the hill names (they're entertaining whether they're correct or not), but equally I'm aware that I'm the last person anyone should be asking. It's a beautiful language, but it's not my language.

The messaging service - Notifications to your email address when you're sent a message and a sent items folder...that'd be grand, I reckon.

What constitutes a hill? That's entirely an individual opinion. I'm not against list ticking per se (a wise standpoint when I'd be fibbing if I claimed I'd never done any); some decry it as being a bit trainspottery but then again trainspotters are 'a club of just wannabe rogues' as the Frank & Walters once put it. Working to a list can open your eyes to some fantastic places you might never see otherwise.

While all of the current MV lists conform to some sort of tight definition there are several famous ones out there that are or seem arbitrary; the Munros (other than the 'over 3000ft' bit, nobody knows how Sir Hugh decided what was in and what was out), the Wainwrights in the Lake District...strewth, even over here Paddy Dillon's list of 2000ft summits was constructed using his gut instinct rather than surveying equipment. So with that in mind, summits of interest (historical or otherwise) does have precedents.

But even considering that, I'm unconvinced of the need for such a list. A good hill or a good feature doesn't need the validation of appearing on a list...it just is. Is anyone in Belfast with eyes prone to pointing upwards going to ignore Cave Hill just because it's not on MV's lists (yet)? Of course they aren't, and if they do they're daft. I quite like the idea of a list shaped exclusively by the whims of an individual, but once you throw that sort of thing open to 'democracy' it doesn't seem quite so appealing to me. Case in point? Prepare to shoot me down, but I've been to Tara and to me it resembled the ancient seat of Irish kings not nearly as much as it looked like a haphazardly maintained municipal golf course.
Nice photo, Bleckc.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
In recent times, I.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
In Search of Peaks.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Peter Walker - reg.. by BleckCra   (Show all posts)
As mentioned in th.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi andodenis (orig.. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy a day ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy a day ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.

Moylemore: Lots of renovated houses.
magicstep 2 weeks ago.
Owey is busy during summer weekends.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...