<< Prev page 1 .. 313 314 315 316 317 318 .. 372 Next page >>
I see bleck cra ha.. by genie   (Show all posts)
Car Theft Ticknock.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
vikinghar
2008-01-06 12:45:06
How I want to be remembered
Hi there. I am relatively new to MV and this is the first time I have contributed. I was very interested in the discussion around memorials that are placed on the hills and mountains and agree that permanent, intrusive memorials do blight the landscape. I understand fully the need for remembrance and it is possible to be responsible about achieving a balance between a public memorial and a private place of remembrance. I am at an age when I am starting to think of how and where I’d like to be remembered after I’m gone. It will mean little to me when I’m actually dead because I’ll be off in another place entirely, but it is important to me while alive that I can somehow exist in the places where I have derived great pleasure, beauty and solace. To that end I feel I would like to be cremated and my ashes scattered in a special place in Donegal. I do not want a permanent memorial at the spot for everybody to see and disapprove of, and I certainly don’t want an urn to be left littering the hills. I like the idea of my ashes integrating with the environment and becoming part of it. Hopefully I will not pollute it at the same time. Remembrance is for my family and friends and, I would like them to plant and care for a tree so that they can visit it and spend time there if they need to. As I said, I understand the motives of people who place permanent markers on the hills because it is part of their grieving process and a hill or mountain is a constant and easy reminder of a loved one. However, permanent intrusive markers of transient life are at odds with the basic principles of preserving the beauty of our hills, which is at the heart of every true hill walker and this should be remembered also.
What is difficult .. by david kirk   (Show all posts)
Volsung, sadly I t.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Was taking a drive.. by tsunami   (Show all posts)
I haven't come acr.. by dino   (Show all posts)
Walking in the Mou.. by volsung   (Show all posts)
Barbara Lennon, ve.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
where are the best.. by Nellyg   (Show all posts)

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy a day ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy a day ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 5 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 5 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...