<< Prev page 1 .. 314 315 316 317 318 319 .. 373 Next page >>
Re Genie's 'Who do.. by david kirk   (Show all posts)
BBC2 - Wed 30 Jan,.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
A new version of I.. by pazapas   (Show all posts)
Who moved one of t.. by genie   (Show all posts)
I am aware that Mo.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
I too have noticed.. by Boots   (Show all posts)
Good man/wummin Ge.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I see bleck cra ha.. by genie   (Show all posts)
Car Theft Ticknock.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
vikinghar
2008-01-06 12:45:06
How I want to be remembered
Hi there. I am relatively new to MV and this is the first time I have contributed. I was very interested in the discussion around memorials that are placed on the hills and mountains and agree that permanent, intrusive memorials do blight the landscape. I understand fully the need for remembrance and it is possible to be responsible about achieving a balance between a public memorial and a private place of remembrance. I am at an age when I am starting to think of how and where Iíd like to be remembered after Iím gone. It will mean little to me when Iím actually dead because Iíll be off in another place entirely, but it is important to me while alive that I can somehow exist in the places where I have derived great pleasure, beauty and solace. To that end I feel I would like to be cremated and my ashes scattered in a special place in Donegal. I do not want a permanent memorial at the spot for everybody to see and disapprove of, and I certainly donít want an urn to be left littering the hills. I like the idea of my ashes integrating with the environment and becoming part of it. Hopefully I will not pollute it at the same time. Remembrance is for my family and friends and, I would like them to plant and care for a tree so that they can visit it and spend time there if they need to. As I said, I understand the motives of people who place permanent markers on the hills because it is part of their grieving process and a hill or mountain is a constant and easy reminder of a loved one. However, permanent intrusive markers of transient life are at odds with the basic principles of preserving the beauty of our hills, which is at the heart of every true hill walker and this should be remembered also.

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 7 hours ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman a day ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka a day ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 days ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 days ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...