<< Prev page 1 .. 94 95 96 97 98 99 .. 372 Next page >>
Hi guys, i am agai.. by diannecfc   (Show all posts)
Aesthetically Ben .. by Geo   (Show all posts)
Mweelrea mountain .. by scannerman   (Show all posts)
..have answered th.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Hi all,Doing a few.. by paulocon   (Show all posts)
That chap's really.. by scannerman   (Show all posts)
The Donegal Mounta.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
One of the tasks t.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
It is with sadness.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2013-01-02 14:35:13
"Rescue Teams at Work" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Rescue Teams at Work (Expand pics)
Slieve League Fall Update
The Irish Independent reports: "A HIKER who plunged half-way down Europe's tallest sea cliffs has thanked his rescuers for saving him and admitted: "I'm lucky to be alive."

Cormac Nolan (28) slipped and fell 300 metres down Slieve League in south-west Donegal while out for a walk on New Year's Day. It took more than 50 rescuers over 12 hours to bring him to safety.

He was discharged from Sligo General Hospital yesterday morning and drove home to Ballon, Co Carlow, where he runs a tyre business.

"I had been to the top of Slieve League and on my way down I slipped in the wrong place and ended up on a ledge beside rocks. When helicopter rescuers saw me, I was told, they reckoned I must have fallen about 350 metres," said Cormac.

"The only reason I was okay in the end was it wasn't one big fall. I was about 50 metres up from the sea when I slithered on to a ledge that saved me from falling the rest of the way.

"I was grasping with my bare hands and they were getting caught as I was trying to stop the fall. I was moving quite quickly and I didn't have anything to hang on to. The whole thing felt like it lasted a couple of minutes but it must have been quicker.

"I was slipping and sliding all the way down, unable to hold on to anything with my bare hands to stop the fall until suddenly I was on a ledge.

"It was actually quite big, about 10ft square, but it was sloping and the only part of it that was not wet and slippy was where I was sitting. When I felt I had to stretch my legs to keep the circulation going, the best I could do to avoid spreading them out beyond the dry part was to wiggle my toes.

"Although I am a bit messed up now, I didn't have any major impact when I slid to a stop. But honest to God, it was a miracle. When I looked back up, I wondered how on Earth I survived."

He said he was in shock for some minutes after his fall but realised he needed help. He phoned a brother and a friend before calling the Coast Guard.

Cormac said he wanted to thank all those involved in his rescue, including Donegal Mountain Rescue Team, Slieve League Mountain Rescue Team, the Arranmore Lifeboat, Killybegs Coast Guard, gardai, paramedics, a doctor and a local priest.

"It was an extremely long and difficult rescue effort. It must have taken a lot of teamwork and co-ordination to pull it off.

"A lot of people risked their own lives in order to save mine.

"Without the presence of all these teams, I might not have made it. My family and I are so grateful to everyone."

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 3 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Dunkerron Spine
Msbinireland 3 days ago.
Caution: ONLY consider doing this route in clear weather and after a dry spell. Many sections may be impassable after... run, Len: 29.3km, Climb: 1597m, Area: Mullaghanattin, Dunkerron Mountains (Ire

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...