<< Prev page 1 .. 89 90 91 92 93 94 .. 366 Next page >>
..have answered th.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Hi all,Doing a few.. by paulocon   (Show all posts)
That chap's really.. by scannerman   (Show all posts)
The Donegal Mounta.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
One of the tasks t.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
It is with sadness.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
2013-01-02 14:35:13
"Rescue Teams at Work" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Rescue Teams at Work (Expand pics)
Slieve League Fall Update
The Irish Independent reports: "A HIKER who plunged half-way down Europe's tallest sea cliffs has thanked his rescuers for saving him and admitted: "I'm lucky to be alive."

Cormac Nolan (28) slipped and fell 300 metres down Slieve League in south-west Donegal while out for a walk on New Year's Day. It took more than 50 rescuers over 12 hours to bring him to safety.

He was discharged from Sligo General Hospital yesterday morning and drove home to Ballon, Co Carlow, where he runs a tyre business.

"I had been to the top of Slieve League and on my way down I slipped in the wrong place and ended up on a ledge beside rocks. When helicopter rescuers saw me, I was told, they reckoned I must have fallen about 350 metres," said Cormac.

"The only reason I was okay in the end was it wasn't one big fall. I was about 50 metres up from the sea when I slithered on to a ledge that saved me from falling the rest of the way.

"I was grasping with my bare hands and they were getting caught as I was trying to stop the fall. I was moving quite quickly and I didn't have anything to hang on to. The whole thing felt like it lasted a couple of minutes but it must have been quicker.

"I was slipping and sliding all the way down, unable to hold on to anything with my bare hands to stop the fall until suddenly I was on a ledge.

"It was actually quite big, about 10ft square, but it was sloping and the only part of it that was not wet and slippy was where I was sitting. When I felt I had to stretch my legs to keep the circulation going, the best I could do to avoid spreading them out beyond the dry part was to wiggle my toes.

"Although I am a bit messed up now, I didn't have any major impact when I slid to a stop. But honest to God, it was a miracle. When I looked back up, I wondered how on Earth I survived."

He said he was in shock for some minutes after his fall but realised he needed help. He phoned a brother and a friend before calling the Coast Guard.

Cormac said he wanted to thank all those involved in his rescue, including Donegal Mountain Rescue Team, Slieve League Mountain Rescue Team, the Arranmore Lifeboat, Killybegs Coast Guard, gardai, paramedics, a doctor and a local priest.

"It was an extremely long and difficult rescue effort. It must have taken a lot of teamwork and co-ordination to pull it off.

"A lot of people risked their own lives in order to save mine.

"Without the presence of all these teams, I might not have made it. My family and I are so grateful to everyone."
Some interesting t.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...and it was a sh.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
...I was missing s.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 13 hours ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy 13 hours ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 13 hours ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 13 hours ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 23 hours ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 2 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility 13 hours ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 a day ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: Fine views to the East...
hivisibility 13 hours ago.
The view to Knocknabreeda, Crossderry and Mothillín as seen from the aooroach to Stúmpa Dúloigh SE Top. Torc in the centre with Mangerton rising over to the right.

Knocknabreeda: View of Carrauntoohil from the summit.
hivisibility 14 hours ago.
Carrauntoohil from Knocknabreeda summit.

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...

Slieve Foye
Onzy 6 days ago.
Sunday route over Slieve Foye and along the ridge for a bit... walk, Len: 9.9km, Climb: 439m, Area: Slieve Foye, Cooley/Gullion (Ireland) Slie...