<< Prev page 1 .. 100 101 102 103 104 105 .. 372 Next page >>
The use of poison .. by aidand   (Show all posts)
In answer lenny, t.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
At 4pm November 10.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
congratulations on.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
The High and the L.. by liz50   (Show all posts)
Hanwags are for sa.. by master   (Show all posts)
lennyantonelli
2012-11-06 13:57:45
"" from lennyantonelli Expand pics
(Expand pics)
poisoned ground, literally
I asked a question here a week or two ago about access to the east side of Lackavrea (near Maam Cross) from the western way — the western way used to follow this route, but was rerouted through the monotonous Coilte plantation nearby. I was drawn to explore the old route by the presence on the map of a tiny broadleaf woodland, sandwiched between the mountain and Lough Corrib, particularly as there are a few other scraps of ancient woodland in the area. The fact I couldn't find anything about this woodland online made it all the more intriguing.

Anyway, I will post more detailed information on the page for the summit itself in due course. But I followed the old footpath of the western way from near the viewing point for the Hill of Doon to the woodland on heavily waterlogged ground. The slog was worth it though: though its understorey is grazed by sheep the woodland is a stunning like broadleaf forest with dense ferns and moss, and some little streams pouring down through it, and there's an old cottage too

I retraced my steps back towards the current route of the western way, only to spot the sign (see pic) along the old route of the western way (around grid ref M 012 485) that I'd missed when I entered the path of the old route. So it seems an access issue is to blame for the rerouting, which is a shame, as the old path goes through some of the remotest and most picturesque terrain in Connemara.

On a more practical note, how seriously should I take the sign? Is there actually likely to have poison the land, does anyone reckon? It was a fairly big swathe of bogland. I'm just wondering seeing as I was slipping and sliding all over the shop and my feet got drenched, though my skin hasn't started peeling off yet thankfully. Guess I should give my gear a good rinse down though maybe?
These excellent hi.. by Garmin   (Show all posts)
Garmin. thanks for.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Hi Captain Vertigo.. by Garmin   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 7 hours ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 2 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 3 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...