<< Prev page 1 .. 101 102 103 104 105 106 .. 372 Next page >>
Hi Captain Vertigo.. by Garmin   (Show all posts)
I could do with a .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
There's plenty of .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
TGO Magazine calls.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
...for those who l.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
This is a great li.. by aidand   (Show all posts)
...I had room in t.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Lurking at the pas.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
wicklore
2012-10-30 09:48:07
"Unbeelievable" from wicklore Expand pics
Unbeelievable (Expand pics)
Hiker dies after bee attack
"It's just a bad combination when you have a sheer rock face and nowhere to go and you're being stung hundreds of times"

During my recent post about what might be the most dangerous everyday creature to walkers and hikers in Ireland (‘Bullocks’ http://mountainviews.ie/motleyviews/general/comment/6565/ ), I queried whether it might be the simple wasp or bee. Well some hikers were attacked by a swarm of bees in Arizona yesterday, and one man died. I think this one story should command our attention, because it could happen here. There are several Irish summits with bees or wasp nests in their summit cairns in the summer (Corraun being one). Also with people insisting on smelling and looking like fruit and flowers (shampoo, chewing gum, deodorant, lip balm, floral patterned clothing) it’s no wonder we attract apian or vespine attention. (Yes I looked up the adjectives for bees and wasps!)

One hiker was killed and two others stung hundreds of times when they were attacked by the swarm of bees in Arizona. The man who died fell to his death down a 150 foot cliff while fleeing the swarm. His companions hid in crevices and were rescued by being airlifted by firefighters off the mountain.

I personally don’t fear bees or wasps but I retain a healthy respect for them, meaning we have coexisted peacefully on the hills with me not killing them and them not killing me. I know others who wave and swat frantically, dramatically increasing their chances of being stung. I’m not sure what triggers a full scale wasp or bee attack, but I presume it’s something to do with the creatures perceiving some kind of threat. Whatever you do in the panic and chaos of fleeing an attack, don’t run over a cliff.
I noticed that a 2.. by bryanmccabe   (Show all posts)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy 23 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh

Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Downloading Tracks
tomodub a week ago.
Hi Simon3.Success - thank you again all worked out this time.Best wishes,Tomodub

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.