<< Prev page 1 .. 316 317 318 319 320 321 .. 372 Next page >>
Well put dhmiriam... by Alex92   (Show all posts)
'Craw 'said the cr.. by maclimb   (Show all posts)
Oh for pity’s sake.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have only just c.. by kevinshandler   (Show all posts)
Superbam, this is .. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
I happened to hear.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
tgormley
2007-11-02 13:47:00
Mountain Rescue
I always enjoy the contributions by the likes of Bleck Cra, Wee Davie, Padodes and Alex92. Given the informal nature of the site, you would have to take forlorn hopes of a disappearing Dublin or criticism of mountain rescue teams with a few pinches of salt. That said, I share the general admiration for the volunteers who get involved in mountain rescue and would hate to think they were offended by being described in colourful and entertaining language.

I think we all know - particularly those of us who prefer the peace and quiet of solitary walks - that when we're out on the hills we take some risks and are responsible for what might happen. I go for the belt-and-braces: a 45 litre bag with whistle, headlamp, spare clothes, first-aid kit, a couple of litres of water, mobile phone and emergency blankets. Cliff Richard fans obviously go for the 'travelling light' option. By the way, do you know what I hate ... when I've spent an hour slogging up some slope with all that gear on my back and some guy in a tee-shirt and shorts runs past me, obviously out for a 10-minute warmup! Anyway, back to the risks. If I slip and get hurt and need help and someone turns up to offer it, it will be a very, very pleasant surprise and if there's a five-hour delay before they can get the helicopter (the helicopter!) to me, I might just count my blessings. I choose to be in remote, inaccessible places; I choose how much spare stuff to bring in case something goes wrong and I need to keep hydrated or warm or fed. Any decent folk who respond to my urgent phone call and try to help cannot be held responsible for the fact that I want to act the gobshite, even if they don't know quite what to do with me when they find me.

For some, the picture painted by Bleck Cra may portray a mountain rescue team who didn't know what they were at. For me, the striking image is of four adults heading out for a walk on the hills without the wit to keep themselves warm. What I want to know is, who let them out.
Oi wee davie - wha.. by superbam   (Show all posts)
Just to follow up .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
OSI have launched .. by beckett   (Show all posts)

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy an hour ago.

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 a day ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 5 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 5 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 4 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 5 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 5 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...