<< Prev page 1 .. 101 102 103 104 105 106 .. 366 Next page >>
Simon - the plant .. by scapania   (Show all posts)
Some of the higher.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
On a trip to the D.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo, I .. by fingalscave   (Show all posts)
Thanks for the inv.. by brianhoey   (Show all posts)
Thanks a million f.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
2012-09-26 23:02:22
Six Derryveagh peaks (part two)
I'm not sure if the crack was a ledge or a hairline crack, but the vegetation gave enough hold to hand and foot to see me up. Relief on the top of the slab as there was a ledge of sorts to give me a chance to put on those vital crampons. Some mixed pitches up to the top of the gully, the final exit being extremely steep and slimy with little vegetation to hold onto but by lying into the slope and systematically working the crampons up, I was out into the sun! A short easy ascent over heathery sections interspersed with sections of granite (I think) pavement led to the top. On the summit, I realised my fleece was soaking. A quick change, something to eat, taking some pictures and I was ready for the rest of the day. Before I reached the col though, there was one further bit of drama.

Descending directly towards the col, there are some steep drops requiring detours. I headed to the right of these, in the direction I had come up. While descending a steep slope I came across a narrow crevasse some metres deep - the top of gully B. This could catch out the unwary, perhaps in snow or in poor visibility.

Standing on the col, at the top of gully A, it looked like it would have been a much easier ascent. Not having gone up this way however, I can't recommend it.

The rest of the route whilst absolutely wonderful, was fairly easy. One thing worth mentioning though, when descending from Slieve Snaght towards Crocfadda, the terrain is very steep with sloping rocky slabs and would be dangerous in wet weather. A much easier and safer descent can be made by finding the green gully which can be seen on the OS map as a linear ripple heading SW starting from around B92171 14375. This is the gully mentioned by Jackill while ascending up to Slieve Snaght, and from below it is indeed very visible. Not so while descending though it's worth the trouble to find it. Standing at Slieve Snaght summit, follow a bearing of about 210 degrees mag for 450 or 460m.

Descent from Crocfadda NE top was by the Devlin river, partly in darkness.
Apologies CaptainV.. by fingalscave   (Show all posts)
I must compliment .. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)
Hi Brian, I've des.. by ahendroff   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 5 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 7 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 7 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 3 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy a day ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 2 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...