<< Prev page 1 .. 109 110 111 112 113 114 .. 373 Next page >>
I am seeking some .. by brianhoey   (Show all posts)
I'm slightly embar.. by Hilltop-Harrier   (Show all posts)
Ah yes poor old us.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
A good call Captai.. by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Some of the themes.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
I enjoyed fingalsc.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
fingalscave
2012-09-21 01:16:36
re Video of Muckish via Miners Track
I've also just seen Gerry M's video of the northern, Miner's Track route. What a brilliant day he had, and how different it was to mine. I was there on the last day of 2011 having driven up to Dunlewy from the Mournes where I'd done a variant of Binnian with a few people the day before. The weather on both days was pretty bad but Saturday produced Donegal's finest squally conditions with swirling mists to boot.

Muckish hadn't been my intended route. I'd planned a circuit of six peaks around Slieve Snaght starting from the abandoned church in Dunlewy at the entrance to the Poisoned Glen. A matter of some misplaced car keys - searching a long grassy ditch, trawling through a large deep puddle, transferring all my weekend bags from the back to the front of my van in order to search them systematically, and all this in lashing rain and gales that tried to rip the doors off the hinges - cost me about 40mins. With the short winter days I decided instead on my B route, Muckish, coming back some two weeks later in perfect winter weather, cold and sunny, to do the Slieve Snaght route.

When I arrived at the quarry base station, there were only the most brief glimpses of the dramatic crags and pinnacles through the rain and mist but armed with various MV members descriptions I made my way up. The steps in Gerry M's video is not I think in the place it was intended for and appears to have fallen away from a rock face which requires some clambering (I only spotted this on the way down). The misty conditions actually increased the drama of the winding ascent. Took one wrong turn here and after passing under a dodgy overhang, came to a precarious crumbling path which I knew could not be the right way and retraced my steps. There are arrows painted on the rocks in places but somehow I missed some of these. Falls of the beautiful silica sand that was mined there are passed on the way up. The rusting engine remains were particularily fascinating seen through the rain. Despite the rain, I took some 60 water distorted photos and short sections of video!

Wind on the top was such that trying to cross the boulder strewn summit plateau was like a drunken stagger, impossible to stand still. I found the summit and the large steel cross but got no views whatsoever.

After viewing the Muckish video, I was delighted to see Gerry also has one of a walk from the Deserted Village on Achill to the magical Annagh Strand where I was this past Saturday, following the route up to Lough Bunnafreva west detailed on this site recently by Lenny Antonelli. This route is magnificent and unforgettable. I will post a track of it some time soon.
Hi all. As I've al.. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Nah, this isn't a .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Video of Muckish a.. by gerrym   (Show all posts)

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman a day ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka a day ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka a day ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka a day ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The look out post 3 years after my first visit.