<< Prev page 1 .. 102 103 104 105 106 107 .. 366 Next page >>
I am seeking some .. by brianhoey   (Show all posts)
I'm slightly embar.. by Hilltop-Harrier   (Show all posts)
Ah yes poor old us.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
A good call Captai.. by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Some of the themes.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
I enjoyed fingalsc.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
2012-09-21 01:16:36
re Video of Muckish via Miners Track
I've also just seen Gerry M's video of the northern, Miner's Track route. What a brilliant day he had, and how different it was to mine. I was there on the last day of 2011 having driven up to Dunlewy from the Mournes where I'd done a variant of Binnian with a few people the day before. The weather on both days was pretty bad but Saturday produced Donegal's finest squally conditions with swirling mists to boot.

Muckish hadn't been my intended route. I'd planned a circuit of six peaks around Slieve Snaght starting from the abandoned church in Dunlewy at the entrance to the Poisoned Glen. A matter of some misplaced car keys - searching a long grassy ditch, trawling through a large deep puddle, transferring all my weekend bags from the back to the front of my van in order to search them systematically, and all this in lashing rain and gales that tried to rip the doors off the hinges - cost me about 40mins. With the short winter days I decided instead on my B route, Muckish, coming back some two weeks later in perfect winter weather, cold and sunny, to do the Slieve Snaght route.

When I arrived at the quarry base station, there were only the most brief glimpses of the dramatic crags and pinnacles through the rain and mist but armed with various MV members descriptions I made my way up. The steps in Gerry M's video is not I think in the place it was intended for and appears to have fallen away from a rock face which requires some clambering (I only spotted this on the way down). The misty conditions actually increased the drama of the winding ascent. Took one wrong turn here and after passing under a dodgy overhang, came to a precarious crumbling path which I knew could not be the right way and retraced my steps. There are arrows painted on the rocks in places but somehow I missed some of these. Falls of the beautiful silica sand that was mined there are passed on the way up. The rusting engine remains were particularily fascinating seen through the rain. Despite the rain, I took some 60 water distorted photos and short sections of video!

Wind on the top was such that trying to cross the boulder strewn summit plateau was like a drunken stagger, impossible to stand still. I found the summit and the large steel cross but got no views whatsoever.

After viewing the Muckish video, I was delighted to see Gerry also has one of a walk from the Deserted Village on Achill to the magical Annagh Strand where I was this past Saturday, following the route up to Lough Bunnafreva west detailed on this site recently by Lenny Antonelli. This route is magnificent and unforgettable. I will post a track of it some time soon.
Hi all. As I've al.. by lennyantonelli   (Show all posts)
Nah, this isn't a .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Video of Muckish a.. by gerrym   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 8 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 10 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 10 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 3 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy a day ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 2 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...