<< Prev page 1 .. 115 116 117 118 119 120 .. 372 Next page >>
Facebook friend an.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
In 1978, when I wa.. by patmccarthy   (Show all posts)
Just to let you kn.. by Lorcan-o-c   (Show all posts)
It was MV member P.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Incidentally who i.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Hi Peter. I must r.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
weedavie
2012-09-04 14:11:54
"Compass user on the 12 Pins" from weedavie Expand pics
Compass user on the 12 Pins (Expand pics)
Back to the pulpit
“I agree with anyone that says that a map and compass and knowledge to use them should always be taken. I don't agree that a compass should be part of the primary means of navigation since using one is slow, cumbersome and error prone.”

Who on earth contributed that to the newsletter? It’s seriously irresponsible. If you’ve a map and compass and you’re slow, cumbersome and error prone then you’ve not the knowledge to use them.

I’m not arguing GPS users are anyway inherently worse people than compass users but they’ve less idea about navigation – they don’t have to know where they are at every moment, so they’re less aware. Me and my mates all are compass navigators though the other two carry GPS, one as back up, the other to download actual route travelled. The one time we tried GPS versus compass in Scotland’s decidedly bigger, more challenging terrain, GPS was faster because you had to stop to check the map and compass at course changes but I’d guess the difference was 5 minutes over an hour. There were no signs of differences of accuracy in the navigation.

I’m not saying I haven’t been error prone with a compass, I have been, and quite spectacularly, but that was me not the compass. I’ve also seen a GPS user making the fatal error of starting at the wrong car park and audibly blaming his device. As with most of these things, operator error’s at the root .

Get so you can use a compass and map easily then use the system you fancy. But map and compass are more fun.
Semi-returning to .. by Peter Walker   (Show all posts)
...on the basis of.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Take a look at thi.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Carrig Island: Kerry Island.
sandman 6 hours ago.
The Island is connected to the mainland allowing for vehicle access and out from the coastal walk the island is well farmed it even has its own B/B. The high point of the island is located adjacen...

Glenstall Woods loop
markl12000 9 hours ago.
walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 302m, Area: Shannon (Ireland)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy a day ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh
Peter Walker 2 days ago.
walk, Len: 8.8km, Climb: 392m, Area: Binevenagh, Keenaght (Ireland) Binevenagh

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 4 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.