<< Prev page 1 .. 121 122 123 124 125 126 .. 372 Next page >>
...check your mess.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
I think you have t.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
I tend to agree wi.. by Harry Goodman   (Show all posts)
simon3
2012-07-23 11:26:17
"Misty Maumtrasna summit in 2005." from simon3 Expand pics
Misty Maumtrasna summit in 2005. (Expand pics)
Re When is a summit actually bagged?
Definitions can get difficult for things like this. There can be hard cases. Like Tomaneena/ Turlough Hill where the top is an artificial lake or the Great Skellig.where you are forbidden from reaching the top. And I don't think we have yet devised a complete set of exhaustive rules for what constitutes the act of summiteering or bagging.

Still, when we do, I think that summiteering on a place like Maumtrasna where it is indeed possible to reach the top, does require you to touch the cairn. So little does Maumtrasna slope away from the highest point, that being within 2 -3 metres vertically of the top could be over 100m horizontally.

I know I am not alone in having to revisit places which I think I may have climbed in the earlier years before the addiction set in. Did I or didn't I actually reach the top of Cnoc na gCapall in the Dunkerrons on that club walk with the Wayfarers in the early 90's. I just don't know. I'll go back.

Anyone have any other opinions on this?

You might also laugh at the issue posed by walking with someone who can potentially tell whether a summit is or is not in a given list. See http://mountainviews.ie/summit/272/comment/14731/
Do you have to phy.. by wwwalker   (Show all posts)
I'd recommend the .. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
I remain convinced.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Sixteen Mountain M.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Hi Folks,I'm curre.. by Cweed101   (Show all posts)
I decided to take .. by trekker   (Show all posts)

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect
Aidy 19 hours ago.

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 22 hours ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 5 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 5 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 6 days ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 6 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 6 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...