<< Prev page 1 .. 145 146 147 148 149 150 .. 372 Next page >>
I‘ve been watching.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Only one user told.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
Highwalker it soun.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Wasnt sure how to .. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
aidand
2012-02-03 13:04:15
Bridges
I'd like to add my own thoughts to this debate. We would all much prefer to have a pristine wilderness. Thankfully Ireland is big enough that there are plenty of hills where man has made little impact. Unfortunately there are problems in some areas.
I recently climbed Djouce for the first time in a decade. I was depressed to see how much erosion has taken place, seemingly all due to thousands of walkers. Similar rapid erosion has occured on the Devil's Ladder route up Carrauntoohil. The Kerry Mountain Rescue website lists drowning as one of the main causes of death in the hills. I am not very familiar with the Mournes, but I don't have any objections to the new footbridges in the Hags Glen. Unless hill walking goes out of fashion I think we should accept bridges, railway sleepers etc on the more popular routes.
I have wondered about the idea of a properly maintained tourist route up Carrauntoohil. There is something similar on Ben Nevis in Scotland. The idea is to give a safe route to the inexperienced walkers and tourists. It may also reduce the number of call-outs for mountain rescue. The main argument against is that it may result in even more badly prepared and inexperienced walkers getting into trouble.
This is not an issue that is going to go away. This website does encourage us to head for the lesser known hills so we can generally get away from the crowds. Now if only someone can devise a solution to quad bikes on the hills - land mines anyone!
David – you and I .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Reference David Ki.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Regarding the deba.. by David Kirk   (Show all posts)
Kevin I read your .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Hi Wicklore, Thank.. by highwalker   (Show all posts)

Not mountains, but might interest lovers of t
Aidy 4 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh
Peter Walker 11 hours ago.
walk, Len: 8.8km, Climb: 392m, Area: Binevenagh, Keenaght (Ireland) Binevenagh

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 2 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 6 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Downloading Tracks
tomodub a week ago.
Hi Simon3.Success - thank you again all worked out this time.Best wishes,Tomodub

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.