<< Prev page 1 .. 148 149 150 151 152 153 .. 372 Next page >>
Staying there this.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
The ever popular a.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
The Glen of Imaal .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
On Friday February.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Hi Hilltop-Harrier.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
As you say kissane.. by fingalscave   (Show all posts)
The book you're lo.. by fingalscave   (Show all posts)
I am reliably info.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
I've used various .. by jackill   (Show all posts)
aidand
2012-01-19 16:05:54
GPS Systems
I reckon it depends on two things - your budget and how techy you are. I have used a Garmin Etrek Summit for a few years. I never got around to linking it to a PC. A lot of the time it stays in the bottom of my rucksack. On the bigger hills I put in a few waypoints with grid references off this site or read off a map. This is very laborious so I try to do this at home the night before a trip. They are a great comfort when navigating in poor conditions.

The most useful function of a GPS is that it gives you an accurate position. Even if you never use it for anything else this can get you out of difficulty if the weather closes in.
There are expensive models with built in mapping. Great if you can afford them, but the mapping will go out of date and units can get lost, damaged etc.
I prefer paper maps. They are cheap enough to buy or replace and great for planning new routes. These are my thoughts - there are more techy people out there who get a kick out of uploading routes etc. good luck to them.

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy a day ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh

Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Downloading Tracks
tomodub a week ago.
Hi Simon3.Success - thank you again all worked out this time.Best wishes,Tomodub

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.