<< Prev page 1 .. 319 320 321 322 323 324 .. 366 Next page >>
NICKY, in David He.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Could anybody tell.. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
Maurice, a well kn.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
On Monday 4th June.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Gerrym, thanks for.. by Alex92   (Show all posts)
Thankyou Padodes! .. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
NICKY, this is too.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
hiker50 - go to Li.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Anybody any idea w.. by NICKY   (Show all posts)
2007-06-01 12:23:22
"Back to nature" from weedavie Expand pics
Back to nature (Expand pics)
..on and on.
The question of GPS is not about how it works. It's what it does to your consciousness. I'm incurably urban - but the city is a fun but unnatural environment for monkeys. Hill-walking is a way of getting in touch with the monkey (which arguably would have been more interested in climbing a tree than climbing Mount Kenya but let me ramble.) With minimum aids, I've got to assimilate information from compass, map, feel for ground, memory and then follow a course. I've found summits in foul weather which were off my map (picked up the wrong ones due to hangover) and felt absurdly pleased with the result. Now if you've an electronic friend which is going to tell you exactly where you are and what surrounds you, this consciousness-expanding element is lost.

If I followed this argument futher, abandoning Goretex could bring me in better touch with the elements but let's not be silly. Hill-walking doesn't have rules, for which the lord be thankit, and everyone's entitled to get their own pleasure from it.( Loz gets pleasure from posting pictures of his daughter Mandi in the mist. Most charming, and he provides a helpful comment, too.) However I feel the simpler we keep it, the more complete the experience will be. Anyway, I'll stop commenting - and it was only Simon's luddite gibe that raised me from my slumber this time.

Hart Walk
GSheehy 3 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 4 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.