<< Prev page 1 .. 185 186 187 188 189 190 .. 372 Next page >>
A little bit of cu.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
Missing from Mourn.. by valdie68   (Show all posts)
simon3
2011-04-18 09:49:17
Boots and conventional wisdom.
Earlier this year we were on the Paps. On the east most of these we met a farmer's daughter who had walked the entire way from the western access via the west Pap. In wellies. Come to think of it, almost every farmer I have seen on the hills wears wellies.
Some years ago I interviewed that grand old gentleman of Irish bagging, Brian Ringland (you can see the article in the More | Resources section.) We went walking on the Comeraghs. Brian who is the only person I am aware of to have climbed all of the 500m summits in Ireland (his own list, substantially similar to the Arderins) believed in and used wellies. Brian was seriously fast in his wellies which certainly worked well on the boggy ground of the Comeraghs.

So finally I decided to try some wellies out on a short walk on the nearby Little Sugar Loaf, a low quartzite ridge in east Wicklow. What types of conditions are they any use for? Can you walk quickly in wellies without problems? How are they on rough ground? Do the benefits of dry feet more than balance the disadvantages?

My preliminary report: not great grip on land but not too bad either, great in low furze, less protection from rough stones underfoot. A disconcerting sloppiness as you put your foot down caused I think by the fact that wellies' soles are quite narrow by comparison with boots. There was some dampness in the boot after walking for 90mins but nothing excessive - something Brian insisted to me was his experience.

The biggest benefit of wellies is dry feet and the weather and ground didn't let me test this. I will when possible. Certainly I helped lead a walk for one of my walking clubs in Feb and it was a non stop 15k of slushy ground which wellies might easily be much better for. And a lot of walking in Ireland is on soft boggy ground. Could the conventional wisdom simply be wrong? Or at least wrong not to consider wellies for soft boggy ground which we often encounter on this island.
...both on Faha Ri.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
All MViewers will .. by aidand   (Show all posts)
I beg to differ up.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Just a brief note .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I have a pair of c.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
...problem is I ha.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Conor74 - I have a.. by Moac   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 a day ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 4 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 4 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...