<< Prev page 1 .. 179 180 181 182 183 184 .. 366 Next page >>
Having recently wr.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
The Military Road .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
The Military Road .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
I have for some ti.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Moving Mountains I.. by movingmountains   (Show all posts)
Its always good to.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Further to simon3'.. by slemish   (Show all posts)
A little bit of cu.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
Missing from Mourn.. by valdie68   (Show all posts)
2011-04-18 09:49:17
Boots and conventional wisdom.
Earlier this year we were on the Paps. On the east most of these we met a farmer's daughter who had walked the entire way from the western access via the west Pap. In wellies. Come to think of it, almost every farmer I have seen on the hills wears wellies.
Some years ago I interviewed that grand old gentleman of Irish bagging, Brian Ringland (you can see the article in the More | Resources section.) We went walking on the Comeraghs. Brian who is the only person I am aware of to have climbed all of the 500m summits in Ireland (his own list, substantially similar to the Arderins) believed in and used wellies. Brian was seriously fast in his wellies which certainly worked well on the boggy ground of the Comeraghs.

So finally I decided to try some wellies out on a short walk on the nearby Little Sugar Loaf, a low quartzite ridge in east Wicklow. What types of conditions are they any use for? Can you walk quickly in wellies without problems? How are they on rough ground? Do the benefits of dry feet more than balance the disadvantages?

My preliminary report: not great grip on land but not too bad either, great in low furze, less protection from rough stones underfoot. A disconcerting sloppiness as you put your foot down caused I think by the fact that wellies' soles are quite narrow by comparison with boots. There was some dampness in the boot after walking for 90mins but nothing excessive - something Brian insisted to me was his experience.

The biggest benefit of wellies is dry feet and the weather and ground didn't let me test this. I will when possible. Certainly I helped lead a walk for one of my walking clubs in Feb and it was a non stop 15k of slushy ground which wellies might easily be much better for. And a lot of walking in Ireland is on soft boggy ground. Could the conventional wisdom simply be wrong? Or at least wrong not to consider wellies for soft boggy ground which we often encounter on this island.

Hart Walk
GSheehy 7 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 4 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...