<< Prev page 1 .. 185 186 187 188 189 190 .. 372 Next page >>
A little bit of cu.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
Missing from Mourn.. by valdie68   (Show all posts)
Earlier this year .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
...both on Faha Ri.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
All MViewers will .. by aidand   (Show all posts)
I beg to differ up.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra
2011-04-15 00:46:55
Tough as old boots
Just a brief note on Critch’s Mantas. If the stories with which he regales us are anything to go by, he and Mantas may be ideally suited. For myself and most at my kind of hillwalking – Munros, challenge type of thing, Mantas would defo not be it. They are classic 4 season rigid shank boots, beautifully made but as with all true 4 season boots, made by none other than the Devil. There is absolutely no mercy except for feet like Critch’s. Sadly they are also now I think a tad passé. Their brothers, maybe also passé and perhaps extinct, were and are in the mind of every serious Munroist in the world, the only show in town: the Scarpa Attack. Now as far as I know you will not get crampons to stick to them (maybe some real bendy ones), But let’s just take a step back. If the Critch is writing about Austria or one of his many exotic destinations, Mantas are good if also awful. If we are talking Ireland, 3 season boots of the best are what you are looking for. I have a friend with a set of Attacks and they are just the most beautiful piece of kit ever. If you can get, get. If not, the new 3 season Brashers are v hard to beat. I write that as an anti-Brasher man all my life. The new stuff is wonderful. In Ireland, go for no crampons – probably if not exclusively, all the time. I don’t believe in kit on the hill. Too much kit means fuss: fuss means danger and danger means dead – and if I had to get off in a hurry with Scarpa Mantas I think I should rather kill myself. Well – to save the time.
I have a pair of c.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
...problem is I ha.. by Conor74   (Show all posts)
Conor74 - I have a.. by Moac   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 a day ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 4 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 4 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...