<< Prev page 1 .. 320 321 322 323 324 325 .. 366 Next page >>
Is it possible to .. by hiker50   (Show all posts)
Here you go !http:.. by loz   (Show all posts)
I was wondering if.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Any chance the GPS.. by loz   (Show all posts)
Weedaviee, The com.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Weedavie, do I det.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
2007-05-30 12:00:38
Ned Ludd gu bràth
Jaysus, Luddite, I like that after all my attempts to lead the flock to righteousness.

GPS, as Simon says, is already the dominant technology on the hills of these isles. I prefer map and compass, a highly developed mature technology, for a number of reasons. Probably the most important of these is that the thinking mostly takes place on my side of the man-machine interface. This has lots of benefits including a more immediate relationship with and understanding of the ground I travel over. Another major one is its transferability. The only thing I need to do if I'm walking in Greece or Spain is pick up some sort of local map then I'm launched.

I'm not against GPS. I can see me ending up with one at the bottom of my bag along with the head-torch, the survival bag and other things I hope not to use. I do laugh at the correspondence in MV on advanced usage. It's all real hobbyist stuff, overlays, underlays and a deep pile carpet. I'm reminded of a bunch of Morris Minor drivers in the 1960s deliberating the optimum greasing cycle for the nipple thingies they'd to lubricate or their wheels fell off.

I think you've more freedom on the hill with map and compass, although I think that may be just a factor of personality. There are days when you don't know where you're going to walk until you get there and even when you start moving you're still undecided on the chosen hill.

I'd not push the safety factor of compasses too far. I demagnetised a compass this year (though my best bet is I had it too close to my phone, another accursed device.) But after the worst weekend of accidents this winter, the only aspect that mountain rescue really warned about was GPS. Here's the quote and I've referenced the article below.

'However, Mr Ingram said an over-reliance on new technology was becoming an increasingly worrying factor.

He said: "This is a really important point.

"If you have something new learn to use it before going out on to the hill and not go out and then try to learn how to use it. Modern technology is also dependent on batteries.

"It is important to learn to use a bog-standard compass and map and learn to read the features of a hill by looking at the map.

"Modern technology such as GPS should be used as a complement to basic map and compass." '

There’s one thing .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Beckett, what a fa.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Some time ago we p.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 23 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe a day ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility a day ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 4 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 2 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 3 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...