<< Prev page 1 .. 327 328 329 330 331 332 .. 373 Next page >>
Is it possible to .. by hiker50   (Show all posts)
Here you go !http:.. by loz   (Show all posts)
I was wondering if.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Any chance the GPS.. by loz   (Show all posts)
Weedaviee, The com.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Weedavie, do I det.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
weedavie
2007-05-30 12:00:38
Ned Ludd gu brąth
Jaysus, Luddite, I like that after all my attempts to lead the flock to righteousness.

GPS, as Simon says, is already the dominant technology on the hills of these isles. I prefer map and compass, a highly developed mature technology, for a number of reasons. Probably the most important of these is that the thinking mostly takes place on my side of the man-machine interface. This has lots of benefits including a more immediate relationship with and understanding of the ground I travel over. Another major one is its transferability. The only thing I need to do if I'm walking in Greece or Spain is pick up some sort of local map then I'm launched.

I'm not against GPS. I can see me ending up with one at the bottom of my bag along with the head-torch, the survival bag and other things I hope not to use. I do laugh at the correspondence in MV on advanced usage. It's all real hobbyist stuff, overlays, underlays and a deep pile carpet. I'm reminded of a bunch of Morris Minor drivers in the 1960s deliberating the optimum greasing cycle for the nipple thingies they'd to lubricate or their wheels fell off.

I think you've more freedom on the hill with map and compass, although I think that may be just a factor of personality. There are days when you don't know where you're going to walk until you get there and even when you start moving you're still undecided on the chosen hill.

I'd not push the safety factor of compasses too far. I demagnetised a compass this year (though my best bet is I had it too close to my phone, another accursed device.) But after the worst weekend of accidents this winter, the only aspect that mountain rescue really warned about was GPS. Here's the quote and I've referenced the article below.

'However, Mr Ingram said an over-reliance on new technology was becoming an increasingly worrying factor.

He said: "This is a really important point.

"If you have something new learn to use it before going out on to the hill and not go out and then try to learn how to use it. Modern technology is also dependent on batteries.

"It is important to learn to use a bog-standard compass and map and learn to read the features of a hill by looking at the map.

"Modern technology such as GPS should be used as a complement to basic map and compass." '

There’s one thing .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Beckett, what a fa.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Some time ago we p.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 an hour ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman a day ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka a day ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka a day ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka a day ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...