<< Prev page 1 .. 189 190 191 192 193 194 .. 366 Next page >>
2011-03-03 22:29:42
Thhe Elephant in the Room
As a learner walker ,who normally consults the site for info posted by the more experienced, it is with some trepidation that I dare to comment on the recent vituperous exchange between Blek Cra and Maclimber .
I should have thought that environmental management, and the politics thereof, for “areas of outstanding beauty” was an important topic ,so am surprised that there appears to be a deafening silence on the subject. Perhaps most people are afraid of being impaled on the antlers of the rutting pair?
However , in the interests of discussion I shall continue on my foolhardy path and offer my , unlooked for, opinion.
I have read the article recommended by Maclimber and agree that some low key? maintenance within the Mournes is necessary ,to preserve the geology and the pleasure for future generations, but I also think that Blek Cra has a very valid point about consultation. The article contains very little about the history and processes of the project and I think that it is incumbent on public bodies ,even those as seemingly benign as MHT, to inform, explain and account for themselves when asked . It mentioned that local interest groups were consulted, so , out of interest I would like to ask who was consulted? ,when? The nature of the consultation? Was it extensive or a rubber stamp exercise ? (and yes I do know we live in a representative and not direct democracy)
The article also mentions ongoing projects. Are the details of these plans anywhere on public view? They might generate quite a lot of interest and allow for viewing/admiring/decrying/anticipating and even some positive PR with the general public if easily available.
I ask these questions in a spirit of inquiry because the difference of opinion has actually stimulated an interest in the politics of environmental management and sustainability for me . So I thank the protagonists for their interesting and entertaining posts . Life would be very boring, and perhaps dangerous, if we all meekly agreed with what our “betters” and “ the authorities” told us,--- or even with each other.
Peace to both
Have these poles a.. by Dessie1   (Show all posts)
Quality high-tech .. by simon3   (Show all posts)
A number of photos.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Blog from the bog... by maclimber   (Show all posts)
Maclimber makes li.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
You are correct as.. by maclimber   (Show all posts)
This event was hel.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Maclimber – you ha.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Recently I put tog.. by simon3   (Show all posts)

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 17 hours ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 18 hours ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 18 hours ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Aidy a day ago.
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility a day ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 4 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility a day ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 2 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility a day ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Crossderry: Summit looking East.
hivisibility a day ago.
Summit of Crossderry with view back towards Mothillín.There are 2 similar heights at the summit area. The summit is the one nearest the Eastern Reeks.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 3 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Quad bikers in the Mournes
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
Whilst out in the Mournes on Sunday 2nd Oct, at about 8.30am we were shocked to see a group of half a dozen quad bikers powering up the track from the Banns Road towards Lough Shannagh (below Doan...