<< Prev page 1 .. 205 206 207 208 209 210 .. 372 Next page >>
Brenno, I sympathi.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Just 3 months afte.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
kernowclimber
2010-12-21 11:21:12
May you make many Lightening Ascents!
Glad you like your new snowshoes, Weedavie! And yes, MSR have a base in Ireland. They are excellent and repaired a snapped crampon on Martin's snowshoe within 24 hours.

So you have given your pair a baptism of fire out on the Scottish hills. I bet that you were glad you didn't go for a cheaper end shoe and opted for one with an 'aggressive crampon unit'! Going downhill is always fun - I tend to glisade a little in them if the snow is very deep, but on our hills you have to be aware of hidden rocks and other obstacles. I agree, traversing in them is somewhat more difficult, but I have gotten used to this now, it's a lot to do with balance and I don't tend to use poles out on the hills. I tested my snowshoes out in the Mournes this weekend, wearing them for half of the trip, and I agree with your observation that there isn't a significant difference in the speed between using them and wearing just boots. But I would say that wearing snowshoes is much less tiring than treading through shin deep snow in boots, you fall over less and I certainly feel more confident knowing I have a crampon unit underfoot!

Snowshoes were designed primarily for traversing deepish snow, not rocky terrain with a thin layer of the stuff. Here one might be better off in just 4 season boots, or if icy, crampons. With the amount of snow we have here in Wicklow today, I might need mine just to walk down the hill to Tescos!!
“Speed training. W.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I emerged from beh.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Thanks, Kernowclim.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
GPS Emerald Island.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
... by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra, you are.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I spied him with h.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

Carrig Island: Kerry Island.
sandman 6 hours ago.
The Island is connected to the mainland allowing for vehicle access and out from the coastal walk the island is well farmed it even has its own B/B. The high point of the island is located adjacen...

Glenstall Woods loop
markl12000 9 hours ago.
walk, Len: 14.0km, Climb: 302m, Area: Shannon (Ireland)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy a day ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh
Peter Walker 2 days ago.
walk, Len: 8.8km, Climb: 392m, Area: Binevenagh, Keenaght (Ireland) Binevenagh

Mullaghanattin Circuit
Onzy 4 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.