<< Prev page 1 .. 205 206 207 208 209 210 .. 372 Next page >>
Just 3 months afte.. by brenno   (Show all posts)
Glad you like your.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
“Speed training. W.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra
2010-12-20 22:09:29
"Semper Apparatus" from Bleck Cra Expand pics
Semper Apparatus (Expand pics)
SNOW RUSH
I emerged from behind a rock. Active male, dodgy vintage, cold weather. Then “Tch ughh,” denoting “Idiot - you’ve lost something!” Pat all pockets, remove all layers, lose all dignity. “Can’t you find it?” she queried. “You had it out only a minute ago ….” Unabashed, she continued “and you had it out earlier …”
I shook my head like there was sand in it and we all searched: she directing, I flapping and he savaging snowdrifts like a squirrel.
“Not to worry,” I said “I have lots more.” She was surprised “But what about the photographs?”
I couldn’t begin to understand the question. “My scarf. I’ve lost my scarf….”
“Oh I thought you’d lost your camera …!” - and suddenly it all became clear.
The Mournes with Kernowclimber and Mcrtchly is a revelation.
When I tackle a hill, I carry what I am wearing. When Kernie and Critchie kick off, they take everything they own. Snowshoes, crampons, ice axes, a collapsible kitchen, enough healthybars to revive Piltdown Man and a spacious 6 man tent. Probably. And thus equipped, we set off for a spectacular day in snowbound Mother Mournes to bag Beag and Cove, the last in their first 100.
“Measured” describes their hillwalking style: stop and look, stop and chat, stop and eat, stop and marvel. Because they know that whatever may come, they are kitted out for every eventuality. When they dandered off the Glen River in near complete darkness, I was lepping down through the woods for my life. Back at base, I half expected them to phone and say they would just stay up the hill ‘til Thursday.
The date of our deaths will come soon enough. Some of us will run at it. Some will saunter. Suddenly I know who I am with.
Thanks, Kernowclim.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
GPS Emerald Island.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
... by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra, you are.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I spied him with h.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Entries for the Ar.. by Tom Milligan   (Show all posts)

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 16 hours ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 3 days ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 3 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 4 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 3 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 4 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...