<< Prev page 1 .. 202 203 204 205 206 207 .. 369 Next page >>
Glad you like your.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
“Speed training. W.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I emerged from beh.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
weedavie
2010-12-20 22:01:20
"Stob Diamh" from weedavie Expand pics
Stob Diamh (Expand pics)
Satisfaction
Thanks, Kernowclimber, I’ve taken delivery of my Lightning Ascents – you didn’t mention they’re manufactured in Ireland. Of course the snow had gone, and in typical imperialist style the English nicked all the new stuff and then didn’t even look grateful.

However we got three or four inches on Saturday night so I hit the Pentlands (sort of Wicklow Hills for the teeny-wees.) You invest that much money, you think it’s made no difference. But I certainly covered 20 kilometres and 700 metres ascent in pretty much the time I’d have taken if there’d been no snow. It was quite wild so I only met two other parties. While I was doubtful if I was better off, they were envious.

They’re amazingly easy to mount /unmount without taking off your gloves – I’ve been reduced to tears fiddling with crampons. I tripped three or four times trapping one shoe under the other. Mostly carelessness but a couple of times gullies under the snow forced them together. I was really pleased there was no need to use poles – most illustrations showed people using them. It was great going uphill without losing half a step on slippage each time. Took me a while working a way of going downhill in powder. It seemed a skiing position, weight further back and legs a bit apart worked. .

Reading about snowshoes, they seem weak in traverse and there was one point I felt I was going to slide sideways into a burn. Is there an answer for this (apart from panicky scrabbling which worked all right in this case)? Overall it was easy to take to their use and easy to work out techniques which I’m sure practice will improve on.

Anyway I’m happy with my purchase and looking forward to some really testing conditions to get rid of that nagging doubt. Meanwhile here’s a picture of traditional hardware on Cruachan a couple of weeks ago.
GPS Emerald Island.. by Pazapas   (Show all posts)
... by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Bleck Cra, you are.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
I spied him with h.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Entries for the Ar.. by Tom Milligan   (Show all posts)
Thank you to Capti.. by mcrtchly   (Show all posts)

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 7 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 14.9km, Climb: 763m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper H

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 23 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 7.5km, Climb: 233m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper Hi

MountainViews Gathering 2017
simon3 a day ago.
The event on Feb 17, 2017 had Peter Walker as MC with two main speakers.Gareth McCormack spoke about the vision and technicalities of modern landscape photography.Paul Clements discussed the Wild ...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo a day ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 2 days ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Two Rock Mountain: Red Grouse near the summit.
BarnaneGoat a week ago.
I climbed here a few days ago from the east along the Dublin Mountains Way. The summit was shrouded in mist and we went astray at one point. I later discovered this was the result of a way marker ...

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara 2 weeks ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara 2 weeks ago.

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 2 days ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara 2 weeks ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...