<< Prev page 1 .. 210 211 212 213 214 215 .. 366 Next page >>
Barryd is quite co.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
2010-11-05 22:41:25
Breage - and an Irish connection!
The parish and settlement of Breage is named after Saint Breaca, a missionary from Ireland (to whom the 15th century church is dedicated) and it is pronounced similarly to the way it would be in Irish, Jackill. Some of our place and family names are similar to those here: Brea is a common placename as in Carn Brea or the settlement of Brea, both near Redruth and the surname Bray (my maternal grandmother's maiden name) is also common, both meaning hill from the Cornish 'Bre'. Inch is another, being a corruption of the Cornish Enys, Innis or Ennis, meaning island or narrow/isolated neck of land. It was my g.grandmother's maiden name. Other names such as Carrick are the same in Irish and Cornish, meaning rock. Oliver Padel has published a comprehensive book of Cornish placename elements which makes for fascinating reading. My appreciation for the familiar landscape of my childhood deepened once I knew what the placenames meant in my own language. Dhmiriam, I agree, placenames are a vital and integral component that engenders our sense of place and we should ensure that they are passed on for posterity.
not knowing Cornis.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
To reiterate kerno.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
Couldn't agree mor.. by kernowclimber   (Show all posts)
barryd – I agree. .. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Add to that his re.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
Yes, I'd agree wit.. by barryd   (Show all posts)
Captain, the indus.. by dbloke   (Show all posts)
Am I imagining it .. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy 3 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 4 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.