<< Prev page 1 .. 326 327 328 329 330 331 .. 366 Next page >>
Padodes, I have ad.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Beckett, I am impr.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Padodes, I had not.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Padodes, I could n.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Take a look at htt.. by Moac   (Show all posts)
Beckett, it would .. by padodes   (Show all posts)
2007-03-29 09:38:48
Re: GPS maps
Just to add some detail to my comment regarding creating Garmin maps. I take the SMC data. Load it up in MapEdit. I then trim the map down to a particular area, say the Galty Mountains. I take the paper OS map for the area and scan it into a tiff format. I then calibrate the scanned image in OziExplorer. The calibrated map can then be added to the Galty mountains contour data. Using the calibrated map as a base I then add a new level to the Galty mountains contour map and start tracing polygons, polylines and points of interest in to the new level. When this process is complete I compile the map as a Garmin image file using cGPSmapper, add it to mapsource and download it to the GPS. You end up with a detailed map with approach roads, water features, tracks and other points of interest that you gleaned from the OS map. When I walk I gather other features, for example, new tracks, streams etc. I then update the map with these over time and the map grows into a really useful topographical map of the area. The software I mentioned is freely available on the web. Some of the free editions have limited features, but they work fine for my purposes. The process seems involved, but it is actually relatively simple once you have done it a few times.
Beckett, your indi.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I debated buying a.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
Erratics are a geo.. by padodes   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy 10 hours ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 3 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 4 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 4 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...