<< Prev page 1 .. 336 337 338 339 340 341 .. 372 Next page >>
I have been trying.. by beckett   (Show all posts)
oliver
ive.. by woody   (Show all posts)
Starting at Shramo.. by oliver fenton   (Show all posts)
Simon3, weedavie,.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
I am currently wor.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)
padodes
2007-01-14 19:44:57
Rob Roy Challenge
Prompted by the suggestion that I read the article on the "Rob Roy Challenge" (http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac51/nevermin.htm), I did so and found it quite congenial. I'm not insensitive to the pristine charm of this kind of navigation. Some years ago I went through a "lost-in-the-wilderness phase" and read Harold Gatty's classic, "Finding Your Way without Map or Compass". It certainly helped me to become attentive to the pointers that nature can give us. I began noting the position of the sun, when it wasn't hidden behind a thick layer of nimbostratus. I took stock of the direction of the wind, when it wasn't gusting from all quarters. I even paid attention to the side that moss grows on trees, when I could find one above the treeline in my moment of need. Less helpful, perhaps, was the flight of migratory birds, since those I could observe seemed as fanciful as the flights of the Irish imagination. The least indicative sign came from the orientation of anthills, however, which, though quite useful in Africa, leaves much to be desired in our own latitudes. In a word, sole reliance on the Rob Roy method, though attractive and no doubt adventurous, is best undertaken in the company of Lady Luck!
Padodes, Robroying.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
Padodes -You point.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Weedavie, allow me.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I suspect we're si.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)

Not mountains, but might interest coast lover
Aidy 22 hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1cedpjs7nwId_STtX9cNIDFoyMnRHtG-I've started a wee project doing photo slideshows on the beaches in Co Donegal. It has unfortunately kept me out of the moun...

Exploring Binevenagh

Dbosonnet a week ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Mweelrea: Brilliant Mountain, But Demands Respect

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy a week ago.
A simple little Binnion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need yo...

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy a week ago.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman a week ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Downloading Tracks
tomodub a week ago.
Hi Simon3.Success - thank you again all worked out this time.Best wishes,Tomodub

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb a week ago.