<< Prev page 1 .. 336 337 338 339 340 341 .. 372 Next page >>
oliver
ive.. by woody   (Show all posts)
Starting at Shramo.. by oliver fenton   (Show all posts)
Simon3, weedavie,.. by dhmiriam   (Show all posts)
I am currently wor.. by nagirock   (Show all posts)
Prompted by the su.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Padodes, Robroying.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
Padodes -You point.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Weedavie, allow me.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
I suspect we're si.. by weedavie   (Show all posts)
loz
2007-01-10 10:22:16
GPS Use
I'd just like to add my 2 pennies. I use a sheet and compass, but always have the Garmin in my sack for that "just in case", As do i have a first aid kit, a phone, changes of clothes, a fire starting kit ( matches plus magnesium striking rods ), and a few other items. I admit it - i'm an aging scout.
However often ( if I dont own the sheet - which as there are a vast number covering this great country - i dont have them all ) I might just go out with some downloaded routes and the Garmin. - Am i a bad person ?? - hopefuly not being sneered at by those who have the sheet of an area. ITS NOT ONLY MAPPING AND NAV SKILLS THAT KEEP YOU OUT OF DANGER !!, awareness and common sense do have a part to play in mountain saftey.
On a lighter note - i'd just like to add how much the strapping on of the Garmin to my daughters wrist - so she can see the distance to a top decrease as she walks, seems to boost her drive when her weary 6 year old legs might otherwise fail !

Scarr ridge from Trooperstown Carpark
simon3 a day ago.

Near Ring Hill, Shannon (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.

Caora Bhán: Dunkerron ridge run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Coomnacronia taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Topped Mountain: Short & simple
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.
A simple little Minion to climb (the name Topped 'Mountain' is a bit of a stretch). A gravel path & steps from a carpark will see you reach the top in about 15 minutes, and you won't even need you...

Near Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Ireland)
mlmoroneybb 4 days ago.
Sunday A walk started at Cush carpark taking in the soldier?s hole, Saunder?s Lodge, the grassey Knol, ice road. Lou walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 1000m, Area: Lough Curra Mtn, Galty Mountains (Irela

Crockmulroney: Good summit for Carn-baggers
Colin Murphy 4 days ago.

Slievenashaska: Wild mountain run
Dbosonnet 3 days ago.
Slievenashaska taken from the Dunkerron ridge. Track 3488 for details

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
For the walkers who may not wish to visit the summit area a photo of same.

Oileán Mhuighinse: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
The walk from the car parked at L7692629281 on the graveyard road to the high point is short but out from the public road it is entirely on private property . Access via the gate up to the small c...

Into The Coum(eragh)'s
GSheehy 4 days ago.
The forecast was for heat, so I said I?d have an early start. Down to the base layer by the time I got to The Gap at ... walk, Len: 27.2km, Climb: 1226m, Area: Coumfea West Top, Comeragh Mountains (I

Eanach Mheáin: Galway Island
sandman 4 days ago.
Connemara Island Golf Course is a nine hole course located on this island and just inside its entrance at L9080830893 is the 11th/17th hole where the natural high point is adjacent to the ladies t...

Lettercallow: Coastal Hill
sandman 4 days ago.
By parking at L8760028966 you can walk on to open hillside with no access issues . A gentle accent to the summit area which unlike its nearest neighbour has no seating arrangements for the visitor...