<< Prev page 1 .. 355 356 357 358 359 360 .. 369 Next page >>
Yes V-sign: bullse.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
The Muppets are ba.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Hillwalking requir.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2005-08-25 18:34:08
"Achilles Heel" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Achilles Heel (Expand pics)
New Boots
Not for the first time your Captain is like a Eunuch in a harem. Arrived in Connemara a fortnight ago with all necessary equipment fully functional. The senior partner reminded me that the purpose of the visit was a family holiday and that the hills would have to take a secondary place. Decided to do a preliminary check on Mam Ochoige with a view to ascending the MamTurks with my 14 year old when weather would allow. Found the whole thing so exhilarating that (even though it was 7.30pm) I proceeded to the summit of Binn Idir an Da Lug (about which more when I get home and can upload the photos).Anyway the old leather boots literally disintegrated on the descent, a lot of which was in twilight and some of which was in the dark. Bought new boots in Clifden next day and then FOOLISHLY failed to take any precautions. Simply galloped up Maolan and then onto Binn Bhreac...(Twelve Bens).By the time I got home my left heel was a soggy necrotic mass. Seven days later and I still can't wear an ordinary pair of shoes. I walk with a limp in sandals. Why didn't I take the simple precaution of wearing a bandage on my heels and an extra thick pair of socks. Meanwhile the Twelve Bens and the Northern Bens are practically overhanging our humble abode. I am deeply frustrated to have added merely two peaks to my bag, before my incapacitation.Regards to all.
Gerrym, yes I thin.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
A question to guag.. by gerrym   (Show all posts)
Michael -- yes I t.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Just had my first .. by Michael McA   (Show all posts)
Hi Malbekh. I assu.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hello everybody.We.. by malbekh   (Show all posts)

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 5 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 14.9km, Climb: 763m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper H

Keeper Hill from Silvermines (Knockanroe Carpark)
caseyc481 21 hours ago.
Wanted to climb Keeper Hill from the Silvermines side. Parked at Knockanroe carpark, walking downhill on fire road unt... walk, Len: 7.5km, Climb: 233m, Area: Keeper Hill, Shannon (Ireland) Keeper Hi

MountainViews Gathering 2017
simon3 a day ago.
The event on Feb 17, 2017 had Peter Walker as MC with two main speakers.Gareth McCormack spoke about the vision and technicalities of modern landscape photography.Paul Clements discussed the Wild ...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo a day ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 2 days ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Two Rock Mountain: Red Grouse near the summit.
BarnaneGoat a week ago.
I climbed here a few days ago from the east along the Dublin Mountains Way. The summit was shrouded in mist and we went astray at one point. I later discovered this was the result of a way marker ...

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara 2 weeks ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara 2 weeks ago.

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 2 days ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara 2 weeks ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly 2 weeks ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...