<< Prev page 1 .. 360 361 362 363 364 365 .. 373 Next page >>
Hillwalking requir.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2005-08-25 18:34:08
"Achilles Heel" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Achilles Heel (Expand pics)
New Boots
Not for the first time your Captain is like a Eunuch in a harem. Arrived in Connemara a fortnight ago with all necessary equipment fully functional. The senior partner reminded me that the purpose of the visit was a family holiday and that the hills would have to take a secondary place. Decided to do a preliminary check on Mam Ochoige with a view to ascending the MamTurks with my 14 year old when weather would allow. Found the whole thing so exhilarating that (even though it was 7.30pm) I proceeded to the summit of Binn Idir an Da Lug (about which more when I get home and can upload the photos).Anyway the old leather boots literally disintegrated on the descent, a lot of which was in twilight and some of which was in the dark. Bought new boots in Clifden next day and then FOOLISHLY failed to take any precautions. Simply galloped up Maolan and then onto Binn Bhreac...(Twelve Bens).By the time I got home my left heel was a soggy necrotic mass. Seven days later and I still can't wear an ordinary pair of shoes. I walk with a limp in sandals. Why didn't I take the simple precaution of wearing a bandage on my heels and an extra thick pair of socks. Meanwhile the Twelve Bens and the Northern Bens are practically overhanging our humble abode. I am deeply frustrated to have added merely two peaks to my bag, before my incapacitation.Regards to all.
Gerrym, yes I thin.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
A question to guag.. by gerrym   (Show all posts)
Michael -- yes I t.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Just had my first .. by Michael McA   (Show all posts)
Hi Malbekh. I assu.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hello everybody.We.. by malbekh   (Show all posts)
The recent IFA pro.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
My wife and I spen.. by jackill   (Show all posts)

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 14 hours ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka 2 days ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman 2 days ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka 2 days ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka 2 days ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 days ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 days ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...