<< Prev page 1 .. 353 354 355 356 357 358 .. 366 Next page >>
Hillwalking requir.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
2005-08-25 18:34:08
"Achilles Heel" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Achilles Heel (Expand pics)
New Boots
Not for the first time your Captain is like a Eunuch in a harem. Arrived in Connemara a fortnight ago with all necessary equipment fully functional. The senior partner reminded me that the purpose of the visit was a family holiday and that the hills would have to take a secondary place. Decided to do a preliminary check on Mam Ochoige with a view to ascending the MamTurks with my 14 year old when weather would allow. Found the whole thing so exhilarating that (even though it was 7.30pm) I proceeded to the summit of Binn Idir an Da Lug (about which more when I get home and can upload the photos).Anyway the old leather boots literally disintegrated on the descent, a lot of which was in twilight and some of which was in the dark. Bought new boots in Clifden next day and then FOOLISHLY failed to take any precautions. Simply galloped up Maolan and then onto Binn Bhreac...(Twelve Bens).By the time I got home my left heel was a soggy necrotic mass. Seven days later and I still can't wear an ordinary pair of shoes. I walk with a limp in sandals. Why didn't I take the simple precaution of wearing a bandage on my heels and an extra thick pair of socks. Meanwhile the Twelve Bens and the Northern Bens are practically overhanging our humble abode. I am deeply frustrated to have added merely two peaks to my bag, before my incapacitation.Regards to all.
Gerrym, yes I thin.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
A question to guag.. by gerrym   (Show all posts)
Michael -- yes I t.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Just had my first .. by Michael McA   (Show all posts)
Hi Malbekh. I assu.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
Hello everybody.We.. by malbekh   (Show all posts)
The recent IFA pro.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
My wife and I spen.. by jackill   (Show all posts)

Hart Walk
GSheehy a few minutes ago.
{First off, I wasn't with the lads. Just sharing the info.}What?s not to like reading about the trials and tribulation walk, Len: 115.7km, Climb: 3215m, Area: Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Cloghernagh,

Torc Mountain W Top: Big brother ....
hivisibility a day ago.
Here's a picture of Torc itself from Torc West Top. Approx 600m between the two summits.

Barnahowna: Fine-weather photo
bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Thought a fine-weather photo of Barnahowna summit was needed!

Maumtrasna North-East Top: Worth a visit!
Collaborative entry Last edit by: bryanmccabe 2 days ago.
Maumtrasna NE top, approximately 2km NE of Maumtrasna, is worth a visit in its own right. The most direct access is via the steep ridge up to nearby spot height 542. One possible starting point is...

Ott Mountain to Slieve Meelmore
Started at the Ott/Blue Quarry car park on the Moyad Road, and took a route taking in six summits, going over Ott Mou... walk, Len: 10.9km, Climb: 730m, Area: Ott Mountain, Mourne Mountains (Ireland)

Crossderry: Summit No 2 of a fine ridge walk.
hivisibility 2 days ago.
Here is another view of Crossderry taken from Mothillín. You can see the twin peaks at the summit area. The summit proper is the one on the right. Knocknabreeda in the background.Its pretty rugged...

Glenbeigh to Galway's Bridge
GSheehy 4 days ago.
I?m putting this one up because it was a club walk and I was thinking about the other day. There aren?t too many clu walk, Len: 40.5km, Climb: 917m, Area: Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Ireland)

Mothaillín: Fabulous views to the west from the summit.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Fine view towards Broghnabinnia and Caher from Mothillín summit.

Mothaillín: Summit area as seen from Crossderry.
hivisibility 3 days ago.
Mothillín summit from Crossderry.

Peak bagging in The Sperrins in autumn
peter1 5 days ago.
Again, the use of a mountain bike is highly recommended for this route, if you are a solo walker. I left my bike in a... walk, Len: 16.2km, Climb: 1048m, Area: Mullaghclogha, Sperrin Mountains (Irela

Cable Car to the Hellfire Club - 20/10
cave-dweller 6 days ago.
Hello, There is a meeting being held in the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham in Dublin 14 tomorrow night at 8 pm about some proposed "redevelopments" in and around the Hellfire Club/Montpelier Hill...

Crossderry: Towards Knocknabreeda and Stumoa Dúloigh
hivisibility 3 days ago.
The view towards Knocknabreeda fro Crossderry summit. Stumpa Dúloigh in the background. Knocknabreeda summit is located over to the far left of the ridge.