<< Prev page 1 .. 250 251 252 253 254 255 .. 373 Next page >>
One of the two mou.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
Tara Hill (mtninde.. by Cormacg   (Show all posts)
dr_banuska/Marty D.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Both of these have.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
On Saturday May 1.. by jackill   (Show all posts)
I just noticed tha.. by dr_banuska   (Show all posts)
Eager to discover .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Part 2 continuedSo.. by three5four0   (Show all posts)
I have to admit to.. by three5four0   (Show all posts)
wicklore
2010-04-10 10:09:30
"Puma verses Dog" from wicklore Expand pics
Puma verses Dog (Expand pics)
Beast on Beagh the plot thickens..!
It's time to panic...

I only added in the photo of the large animal prints I saw on Slieve Beagh/Eshbrack as a curiosity, and for a bit of humour. (Look at my recent comment on Slieve Beagh SE Top to see the photo).Now it appears that the plot thickens considerably! After posting the photo I had decided to see which type of animal had made the prints, and so I did a bit of research. I was astonished to discover that not only do they resemble cat prints, but that there have been reports of a large black cat around this part of Monaghan previously. The Gardai and Irish Army had even been deployed at one stage to shoot it!

( see http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-take-to-the-air-in-hunt-for-big-cat-154593.html

and

for details)

The attached image shows the key differences between canine and feline paw prints. One crucial point is that dogs claws are extended while they walk, while cats are retracted. My photo did not have claw marks in it...Another issue is the sheer size of the prints I snapped. Compare them to the size of my bootprint. (And no Im not very small size 11 boot!)

A bit more research revealed that Ulster is littered with big cats. Pumas are the most commonly sighted, though why they are all choosing to make Ulster their home wasnt made clear. MountainViews member three5four0 contacted me with a report that the USPCA thinks there may be 10 of them roaming about the place. I must say I was shocked to see how close I may have come to annihilation, especially as I like cats. All I would have had to defend myself was a photo of my two dogs on my phone!

Forum: Suggestions
Addition of "All Irish features" list etc
simon3 7 hours ago.
A new list and total has been added which shows All Irish features visited. So if you mark as visited any summit, coastal summit, coastal feature, island feature then this total will go up. You ca...

Illanmaster: Watching Over.
sandman a day ago.
This hill watches over Illanmaster Island and although its summit is nothing of note its cliffs are fantastic. As described previously this can be part of a coastal walk or for direct accent park ...

Corraduff Hill: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
Corraduff Hill as seen from the Benwee Loop Walk.

Mweelrea Mt via Ben Lugmore
marzka a day ago.
A very nice walk with amazing views and small bit of scrambling which can be avoided.Dificulty: Medium- ascending via... walk, Len: 13.4km, Climb: 1111m, Area: Ben Lugmore East Top, Mweelrea Mountain

Bencorrbeg - Binn an Choire and Binn Dubh
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with a bit of scrambling.And this GPS track involve that mentioned part of scrambling - but if you want... walk, Len: 10.4km, Climb: 944m, Area: Bencorrbeg, Twelve Bens (Ireland) Benco

Benwee NE Head: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
It is easy to reach the area i took the photo from just a slight detour off the Benwee Loop Walk F8220244947 it is the next bit that the problem arises. Definitely an Ian Miller summit.

Teermoyle and Been Hill
marzka a day ago.
Very nice walk with goregous views.Dificulty: Medium- a bit wet terrain, mostly grassy- some small part of walk on th... walk, Len: 13.2km, Climb: 843m, Area: Keamconneragh, Glenbeigh Horseshoe (Irel

Doonvinalla W Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 2 days ago.
The Stags of Broad Haven just one of the fantastic photo opportunities from this summit which is easily accessed from the Benwee Loop Walk the easy option from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259.

Mangerton via Stoompa and Horses Glen
marzka 2 days ago.
Lovely walk with stunning views.Dificulty: Medim- wet terrain as crossing the Owgariff river- very steepy descending w... walk, Len: 13.6km, Climb: 673m, Area: Stoompa, Mangerton (Ireland) Stoompa, M

Doonvinalla E Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Easy access from the pier at Portacloy F8395844259 follow the Benwee Loop walk and branch off where appropriate . The photo shows views across towards Benwee Head in the background .

Carrauntoohil via central guy and dawn via oshea-gully WINTER WALK
marzka 2 days ago.
This is a winter climb, therefore the winter equipment is needed and extra time should be added while planning that r... walk, Len: 10.6km, Climb: 779m, Area: Carrauntoohil, MacGillycuddy's Reeks (Ir

Doonvinalla N Top: Coastal Hill
sandman 3 days ago.
Looking across to Doonvinalla N Top from E Top i decided it was above my pay grade to attempt the summit climb today . But to the right of the photo a route to the top seemingly exists so another ...