<< Prev page 1 .. 257 258 259 260 261 262 .. 373 Next page >>
I'm glad to hear B.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Wicklore, sorry to.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
Padodes asks can B.. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Bray Head on the I.. by padodes   (Show all posts)
CaptainVertigo
2010-02-07 01:08:52
"Sick Ford transit gloriam mundi" from CaptainVertigo Expand pics
Sick Ford transit gloriam mundi (Expand pics)
Uplifting Pro
The world will little note nor long remember what we say here. Unlike books, which are both objects and ideas, netpages float like the mountains of Avatar, and possess a transitory quality. I am struck tonight by the counterpoint of the fleeting moment which is never quite grasped , and its eternal backdrop: the glory and the tragedy combined as hillfolk walk astride our western mountains and contemplate their short butterfly days. This morning I read aloud to my stunned wife Black Cra's 2005 piece on Mweelrea. I found it difficult to stop my voice from cracking with emotion...This short masterpiece, begging for a Luther King to deliver it, is Joycean in its riches. I quote a portion: "Then, the contrast of a long trail across nothingness, and suddenly beneath the mist, what everything from here to there and from now until then is about, the glittering golden edge of Tir na nOg. To a child of the gentle Solway, of pastel greens and blues and Southern breezes, this introduction to real ocean will go with me to the gats. Still, I see golden islands in ink blue depths and the world’s end of a culture that stretched from the Caucasus; diverse but more cohesive than any empire. I could visit in a bit of vis but I doubt if she’d be so melodramatic. I recall an outward bound centre resonating with kee-ho-ing weans and some lightfooted parking between it and the lough, a thing called “the ramp” by which our kind ascend and descend, but where in the blackness I thought I spied my own death." It grieves me to think that writing of this quality may dissappear into the ether. How can it be harvested for future generations?
Just done a fantas.. by winer   (Show all posts)
Congratulations to.. by Harry Goodman   (Show all posts)
A young man who wa.. by simon3   (Show all posts)
While out walking .. by wicklore   (Show all posts)
Dandering home fro.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)

This just arrived today in the post...
ColinCallanan 4 hours ago.
Thought I'd treat myself to the printed version, and it's good we can support MV in this way. Looking forward to reading all the nice articles in print. There's something nice about reading "off-s...

Day 19 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 18.6km, Climb: 1844m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 17 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 25.3km, Climb: 1873m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 16 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 28.6km, Climb: 2693m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 15 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 22.0km, Climb: 1941m, Area: Germany, Bavaria ()

Day 13 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 16.5km, Climb: 1320m, Area: Austria, Vorarlberg ()

Day 12 Germany Trip
simoburn 6 hours ago.
walk, Len: 11.1km, Climb: 1087m, Area: Austria, Vorarlberg ()

Visiting Collon Hill for coastal views.
simon3 6 hours ago.
Most of this track is on forest roads. The final way up leaves the forest road through an area of beech trees. There i... walk, Len: 5.8km, Climb: 193m, Area: Collon Hill, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Co

Walk up Ballinastraw
simon3 7 hours ago.
This is a straightforward walk to Ballinastraw, a wooded summit as of 2017.Notable is the Eucaylyptus plot near the en... walk, Len: 1.9km, Climb: 48m, Area: Ballinastraw, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland) Ba

Courtown/Clones area to Clogga
simon3 7 hours ago.
Beach north of Clones.Lookout Post 10From the Castletown/Clones area the walk north to Kilmichael is reasonably interest walk, Len: 11.6km, Climb: 79m, Area: North Wexford (Ireland)

Cnoc Lios Uachtair: Connemara in the round
fieldoptic 22 hours ago.
An easy to access and navigate hill, well worth it for its central position and views in every direction. Park as previously suggested at L8530 4820 and head north east before swinging north. The ...

Cnoc Mordáin: Long Connemara Summer Evening
fieldoptic 22 hours ago.
Though the road near L88003920 appears unfenced you will encounter a fence very soon after leaving the road. This fence extends along this back road, Bothar na Scrathóg and keeps cattle in typical...