<< Prev page 1 .. 360 361 362 363 364 365 .. 369 Next page >>
I enjoyed the foll.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
Can’t do it - don’.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
Fellow Walkers,   (Show all posts)
Hello andagda. Lik.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I'm organising a w.. by andagda   (Show all posts)
Greetings Bleck an.. by CaptainVertigo   (Show all posts)
simon3
2005-04-20 13:07:20
Whether Forecast
oh I loved that one Bleck!
my principle in walking in Wicklow has always been to disregard the weatherman and wait to see what I encounter

a. if you believe a bad weather forecast that turns out to be incorrect, you have missed a walk

b. when predicted, bad weather usually appears in showers which are easily dealt with

c. if you encounter continuous rain this is usually apparent before you start and you can do something different

d. if it really is unpleasant you can change your route and go home, often in Wicklow by setting your compass or GPS to the starting point

On average I would say the weather seriously stops me only about 2 weeks a year.

However this simple principle don't necessarily work elsewhere. I will never forget walking for 10 hours in the rain on the 'Turks in 1995. 450 people started (far too many) and only about 80 finished as far as I remember. I had become so cold that about two hours after finishing the walk I started to get spasms. You know stitches in your side or in your legs? Well this was in each and every limb. My entire body became rigid. For many of the wilder places, unlike most of Wicklow, it is quite difficult to leave an area, particularly if your transport is to the north or east of the range. Wicklow's mountains may have been 2500m high once but nowadays the flattened stumps left after 350m years of erosion don't offer as many serious cliffs as elsewhere..

It may have been snowing in the north but in Wicklow it was a continuous downpour. I see from john_desmond's comments however that the Comeraghs were actually clear!
GB bemoans the dem.. by Bleck Cra   (Show all posts)
I had the misfortu.. by johnvbrennan   (Show all posts)
Everpresent - I'v.. by jackill   (Show all posts)

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo less than an hour ago.
Don't be a tick - Check out this article and be mindful of yourselves out there http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241I hav...

Tick/Lyme Disease Awareness
Geo less than an hour ago.
See http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/lyme-disease-a-tiny-tick-can-pack-a-huge-punch-1.2964241

Ballysitteragh Stroll
Bunsen7 11 hours ago.
A short stroll from the Conor Pass carpark. My plans for greater things fell victim to the inclement weather.Simply st... walk, Len: 7.0km, Climb: 340m, Area: An Bhinn Dubh, Brandon Group (Ireland) A

Meenavally: A pleasant walk to theTower
BigFly 19 hours ago.
Lovely pleasant walk

Walker's €40k claim against NPWS overturned i
brenno 3 days ago.
Great news from High Court as that €40k ruling in favour of that walker who tripped on the Wicklow Way boardwalk near the JB Malone memorial overturned in High Court. We can all toast Judge White ...

Sgurr Thuilm: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small footbridge u
melohara a week ago.
If the Allt a' Choire Charnaig is in spate there is a small footbridge, wires and planks, a little upstream

Sgurr nan Coireachan: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small foot
melohara a week ago.

The Big Gun: A Big View
mcrtchly a week ago.
A view of the Big Gun, Cnoc na Péiste and the southern ridge of the Reeks taken after a light fall of snow in late January 2017

Sgurr a'Choire Riabhaich: If Allt a' Choire Charnaig in spate there's a small
melohara a week ago.

Near Church Mountain, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)
Bunsen7 6 days ago.
Took this track to bag Church Mountian and then Corriebracks on a cold wet winter afternoon. Visibility was poor high... walk, Len: 11.0km, Climb: 603m, Area: Church Mountain, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland

Tievebaun: Crash of 42-31420 in 1943
dp_burke 2 weeks ago.
Just a quick link to the story of 42-31420's crash on Tievebaun as I found it.http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/42-31420.htmIf you do go up top the small bit of wreckage that is left, please don't r...

Sugar Loaf Circular
tommyclarke 5 days ago.
walk, Len: 5.4km, Climb: 404m, Area: Great Sugar Loaf, Dublin/Wicklow (Ireland)...